The Untold Story of My Grandfather: From a Small Village to a Self-Made Man"
The Untold Story of My Grandfather
From a Small Village to a Self-Made Man
Part One: The Beginning π
I never truly knew my grandfather until I sat beside him one evening, listening to stories of a time I had only read about in history books.
The year was 2021. COVID-19 had locked us all inside our homes, and my grandfather — Abba Jan, as we lovingly called him — had come to stay with us in the city. He was 76 then, with silver hair that gleamed like moonlight, wrinkles that mapped decades of struggle, and eyes that held the wisdom of a thousand sunsets.
That night, as the city hummed outside our window, he began to speak. And I listened — really listened — for the first time in my life. π§π«
"Beta," he started, his voice raspy but warm, "you think this house, this car, this life — you think it came easy?"
I shook my head, though I had never truly thought about it.
He smiled — that crooked smile I had seen a thousand times in family photographs. Then he leaned back on the sofa, closed his eyes, and took me back. Way back. To a time when Bangladesh was still East Pakistan, when electricity was a luxury, and when a little boy in a remote village dared to dream of something bigger than the muddy fields surrounding him.
A Village Called Home π‘
My grandfather was born in 1945 in a tiny village called "Charigram" — a name that literally means "village on the riverbank." It was nestled somewhere in the district of Faridpur, surrounded by lush green paddy fields and the slow, winding currents of the Padma River.
Life there was simple. Brutally simple.
The house was made of tin and bamboo. During the rainy season, water would drip through the roof, and the family would huddle together in the driest corner, hoping the storm would pass quickly. There was no electricity, no ceiling fans, no television — not even a radio until much later.
"We had nothing," Abba Jan said, "but we had each other. And in those days, that was enough." π§️π
He was the youngest of seven children — five brothers and two sisters. His father, my great-grandfather, was a humble farmer who owned just two acres of land. It wasn't much, but it was enough to grow enough rice and vegetables to feed the family — barely.
His mother, my great-grandmother, was a woman of quiet strength. She would wake up before dawn, cook meals over a mud stove, tend to the livestock, and still find time to teach her children the values of honesty and hard work.
"She never learned to read or write," Abba Jan told me, his voice softening, "but she was the smartest woman I ever knew. She could calculate expenses faster than any accountant and could spot a liar from a mile away." π©πΎ❤️
The Journey to School — Every Single Day πΆ♂️π
The nearest primary school was three miles away. Three miles of muddy, uneven terrain that turned into a slippery nightmare during monsoon season.
But Abba Jan didn't complain. He never did.
"Every morning, I would wake up at 4 AM," he recalled. "I would help my mother fetch water from the tube well, feed the chickens, and then run — literally run — to school so I wouldn't be late."
He didn't have proper shoes. Most days, he went barefoot. His uniform was a single white shirt and a blue lungi — both of which had been passed down from his older brothers and patched up so many times that the original fabric was barely visible.
"But I didn't care about any of that," he said with a grin. "I just wanted to learn. I wanted to see what was beyond those paddy fields. I knew, even at that age, that there was a bigger world out there — and I was determined to find it."
His teachers noticed his hunger for knowledge. He was always the first to arrive and the last to leave. He borrowed books from older students, studied under the dim light of a kerosene lamp at night, and would often fall asleep with his face buried in a textbook. ππ€
The River That Changed Everything π
When Abba Jan was 12 years old, something happened that would shape the rest of his life.
His father — my great-grandfather — fell seriously ill. A stubborn fever that wouldn't break, followed by a cough that rattled his entire frame. The village healer tried everything — herbs, prayers, rituals — but nothing worked.
"We didn't have money for a real doctor," Abba Jan said, his eyes growing distant. "The nearest hospital was 20 miles away, and we couldn't afford the boat fare to get there."
His father passed away three weeks later. He was only 53.
Suddenly, my grandfather wasn't just the youngest son anymore. He was the boy who had to grow up — fast.
"I was the only one who could read and write," he said. "So I had to step up. I had to become the man of the house."
The family was devastated — emotionally and financially. Without his father's income, things became desperate. His older brothers had already moved away to find work in the cities. His sisters were married off young, as was the custom in those days.
That left Abba Jan, his mother, and a small plot of land that could barely feed two people, let alone three.
"For the first time in my life, I thought about quitting school," he admitted. "I thought, 'What's the point? Who will pay for my books? Who will pay for my uniform? My father is gone. My brothers are gone. It's just me and my mother now.'"
But his mother — that fierce, illiterate woman — refused to let him give up.
"She grabbed my ear one day," he said, laughing, "and said, 'You will NOT quit. Your father didn't die so you could become a farmer like the rest of them. You will study. You will succeed. And you will make me proud.'"
And so, he continued. With no money and barely enough food to eat, he pushed forward — powered by sheer will and a mother's unwavering faith. π
Surviving on Dreams and Roti π«
Those were the lean years.
Abba Jan would often go to school on an empty stomach. Lunch was a single piece of roti (flatbread) that his mother had prepared in the morning. Sometimes, if there was no flour at home, he would skip lunch entirely and drink water from the village pond to fill his stomach.
"I remember once, my teacher asked me why I looked so pale," he said. "I lied and said I was just tired. But inside, I was starving."
He walked to and from school every day — six miles total — in the scorching heat, in the pouring rain, in the bone-chilling cold of winter. His feet would crack and bleed, and still, he kept walking.
"Because I knew that each step was a step closer to a better life," he said. "Not just for me. For my mother. For my family. For the generations that would come after me."
The First Light of Hope π
When Abba Jan was 15, he passed his secondary school exams with flying colors. He ranked among the top students in the entire district.
The village celebrated. His mother cried tears of joy.
"That was the first time I saw my mother cry happy tears," he said, his own eyes glistening. "She hugged me so tightly that I thought my bones would break."
His achievement caught the attention of a local philanthropist — a wealthy landowner who had heard about the poor boy who walked miles to school every day and never gave up.
The man offered to sponsor Abba Jan's higher education.
"It was like a miracle," my grandfather recalled. "I had prayed for so long, and finally, my prayers were answered."
Part Two: The City of Dreams π️✨
The Journey of 1960 — Faridpur to Dhaka
The year was 1960. My grandfather was 15 years old, wide-eyed and trembling with a mixture of fear and excitement, as he boarded a crowded train from Faridpur to Dhaka — the bustling capital of East Pakistan.
It was his first time leaving the village. His first time seeing a train. His first time stepping into a world that was louder, faster, and infinitely more chaotic than anything he had ever known. π
"I almost turned back," Abba Jan admitted, chuckling at the memory. "The train station was so crowded. People were shouting, pushing, fighting for seats. I had never seen so many people in one place in my entire life. I felt like a tiny fish thrown into a vast ocean."
But he didn't turn back. He couldn't. His mother had scraped together every last penny she had to buy him that train ticket. She had also packed a small cloth bag with dry roti, some pickled mangoes, and her blessings — which, according to Abba Jan, was worth more than all the gold in the world. π§³π
The journey took nearly eight hours. The train chugged slowly through endless green fields, tiny villages, and makeshift stations where vendors sold hot tea and sugarcane juice. Abba Jan pressed his face against the window, drinking in every sight like a man dying of thirst.
"I had never seen so many colors," he said. "The saris of the women, the bright rickshaws, the painted shops — everything was so alive. I thought, 'This is it. This is where dreams come true.'"
The First Night in Dhaka π°π️
But Dhaka was not kind to him at first.
The man who had promised to sponsor his education — the wealthy landowner from his village — had given him an address. But when Abba Jan finally found the house, it was locked. The man had gone on a business trip and wouldn't be back for another week.
Abba Jan was alone. In a city of millions. With no money, no place to stay, and no one to turn to.
"I sat on the footpath that night," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "I watched people walk past me — rich men in suits, women in beautiful saris, children laughing and eating ice cream. And I felt invisible. Like I didn't exist. Like I was just a shadow that no one could see."
He didn't sleep that night. The streets were too loud, too bright, too terrifying. Every sound made him jump. Every shadow made him flinch. He clutched his little cloth bag like it was the only thing keeping him alive. π’π
A Stranger's Kindness π€π
The next morning, exhausted and hungry, Abba Jan wandered into a small tea stall near the train station. He had just enough money for one cup of tea — no sugar, no snacks, just plain black tea.
The tea seller, an old man with a kind face and a warm smile, noticed the boy's tattered clothes and hollow cheeks.
"He asked me, 'Baba, where are your parents?'" Abba Jan recalled. "I told him everything — about my father's death, my mother's sacrifice, my journey to Dhaka, and the landowner who had vanished."
The old man listened silently, stirring his tea. Then, without saying a word, he placed a plate of parathas and dal in front of Abba Jan.
"Eat first," he said. "Then we'll talk."
That man — Abba Jan never forgot his name — gave him more than food. He gave him shelter. For the next seven days, Abba Jan slept on the floor of that tiny tea stall, helping the old man with dishes and cleaning in exchange for meals and a safe place to rest. ☕π
"That man taught me something I have never forgotten," my grandfather said, his eyes bright with emotion. "He told me, 'Beta, when you have nothing, you still have your humanity. And if you hold onto that, the world will always find a way to give back to you.'"
The Landowner Returns — And a New Chapter Begins π✨
On the eighth day, the landowner finally returned.
When he saw Abba Jan waiting patiently outside his house — thin, tired, but with fire still burning in his eyes — he was deeply moved.
"He apologized for the delay," Abba Jan said. "He told me he had heard about my story from the villagers. And he said, 'You are not just a student anymore. You are my responsibility now.'"
The landowner enrolled Abba Jan in a prestigious school in Old Dhaka, paid for his tuition, books, and uniform, and even found him a small room to rent near the school.
For the first time in his life, Abba Jan had a proper bed. A proper desk. A proper chance. π«π
The Struggle Never Stopped πͺπ
But even with the sponsorship, life was far from easy.
The room he rented was tiny — barely big enough for a cot and a small wooden table. It had no fan, no attached bathroom, and during the summer, it felt like a furnace. Abba Jan would wake up drenched in sweat, study by the dim light of a kerosene lamp, and walk two miles to school every morning because he couldn't afford the bus fare.
"Sometimes, I would have just one meal a day," he admitted. "I would tell myself that hunger was temporary, but education was forever. And I held onto that thought like a lifeline."
He also took on odd jobs — tutoring younger students, helping shopkeepers with accounts, even cleaning classrooms at his school — just to send a little money back to his mother in the village.
"I would write her letters every week," he said, smiling. "I would tell her about the tall buildings, the bright lights, the electric fans — things she had never seen. I promised her that one day, I would take her to Dhaka and show her everything."
The First Degree — A Victory Against All Odds ππ₯
In 1965, Abba Jan graduated from intermediate college with honors.
He was the first person from his entire village — yes, the very first — to earn a college degree. When the news reached Charigram, the entire village erupted in celebration. People came from neighboring villages just to shake his mother's hand and congratulate her.
"My mother didn't have a phone," Abba Jan said, laughing. "So she walked five miles to the nearest post office to send me a telegram. It said just three words: 'I AM SO PROUD.'"
He framed that telegram and kept it with him for the rest of his life. πΌ️❤️
But the Biggest Test Was Yet to Come — 1971 ⚔️π§π©
Just as Abba Jan was beginning to build a stable life — a good job, a small savings account, and even a few marriage proposals — the Liberation War of 1971 broke out.
East Pakistan was fighting for independence from West Pakistan. And my grandfather, now 26 years old, found himself caught in the crossfire of history.
"Those were the darkest days of my life," he said, his voice growing heavy. "I saw things I can never unsee. I heard screams that still echo in my ears at night."
He lost friends. He lost colleagues. He almost lost hope.
But he survived — by hiding, running, and clinging to the belief that freedom was worth every sacrifice. And when Bangladesh finally emerged as an independent nation on December 16, 1971, Abba Jan wept — not out of sadness, but out of overwhelming joy.
"I had seen my country born," he said. "And I knew, in that moment, that I had to help rebuild it. Not for myself. For my children. For my grandchildren. For you." π§π©✨
Part Three: Rebuilding a Nation, Building a Life π️π§π©
The year was 1972. Bangladesh was finally free — but freedom came at a devastating cost.
The country lay in ruins. Roads were destroyed. Bridges were collapsed. Markets were burned. And millions of people — including my grandfather — had lost everything they had worked so hard to build.
Abba Jan returned to Dhaka after the war to find his tiny rented room still standing, but barely. The windows were shattered. The walls were scarred with bullet holes. His beloved books — the ones he had collected over years of struggle — were scattered on the floor, torn and waterlogged. ππ
"I sat on the floor that day," he told me, his voice trembling slightly. "I looked at the destruction around me and thought, 'Is this what we fought for? Is this what independence means?'"
For a moment — just a single, terrifying moment — he considered giving up. He thought about returning to Charigram, to his mother, to the simple life of a farmer. Maybe that was easier. Maybe that was safer.
But then he remembered something his mother had told him years ago: "A real man doesn't run away from storms. He learns to dance in the rain." ☔πΊ
And so, instead of running, Abba Jan rolled up his sleeves and started rebuilding — not just his own life, but the life of his newborn nation.
The First Job — A Humble Beginning πΌπͺ
With no money and no connections, Abba Jan took the only job he could find — a clerk position at a small government office in Old Dhaka. The salary was meager — barely enough to cover rent and food. But he didn't complain.
"I was grateful to have a job at all," he said. "Millions of people were jobless. Thousands were homeless. I had a roof over my head and food on my plate. That was more than most people had."
He worked tirelessly — often staying late into the night, organizing files, writing reports, and learning everything he could about how the government functioned. His colleagues noticed his dedication. His bosses admired his work ethic. And slowly, quietly, he began to rise through the ranks. ππͺ
The Love Story That Changed Everything ππ₯°
In 1974, Abba Jan met the love of his life — my grandmother, Amma.
She was the daughter of a respected schoolteacher in Dhaka — educated, elegant, and fiercely independent. Her family had also lost everything during the war, but she never lost her spirit.
"The first time I saw her, I couldn't speak," my grandfather admitted, blushing like a teenager. "She was standing in a bookshop, reading a poetry collection by Jibanananda Das. The sunlight was falling on her face, and I thought — 'This is the woman I want to marry.'" πΈπ✨
But winning her heart wasn't easy. She was intelligent, ambitious, and had no interest in marrying a poor clerk with no future. So Abba Jan did what he did best — he worked harder.
He saved every penny he could. He took on extra work. He studied for competitive exams. And within two years, he had secured a promotion and a much better salary.
"I went to her father with a proposal," he said, grinning. "I told him, 'I don't have much now, but I promise you — your daughter will never go hungry. She will never have to worry about money. I will give her the life she deserves.'"
Her father agreed. And in 1976, they were married in a small, simple ceremony surrounded by close family and friends. ππ
Building a Family — And a Legacy π¨π©π§π¦π
The early years of their marriage were tough. They lived in a tiny one-room apartment with a shared bathroom and a kitchen the size of a closet. But Amma never complained. She managed the household with incredible skill — cooking, cleaning, saving money, and supporting Abba Jan in every way she could.
"She was my rock," my grandfather said softly. "She believed in me even when I doubted myself. She pushed me to dream bigger, work harder, and never settle for mediocrity."
In 1978, their first child — my father — was born. Then came another son. Then a daughter. The family grew, and so did Abba Jan's responsibilities.
"I used to wake up at 3 AM," he recalled. "I would work on side projects, study for exams, and still make time to play with my children. I wanted them to know that their father loved them — not just as a provider, but as a presence in their lives." π§Έ❤️
The Big Breakthrough — A Dream Realized ππ’
In 1982, Abba Jan received the news that would change everything.
He had passed the highly competitive Bangladesh Civil Service Examination — one of the toughest exams in the country. Out of thousands of applicants, he was selected as a senior officer in the Ministry of Education.
"When I got the news, I cried," he admitted. "I cried like a child. I thought about my father, who died without seeing his son succeed. I thought about my mother, who had worked so hard to raise me. I thought about every hungry night, every painful step, every tear I had shed."
He called his mother immediately. She was 70 years old by then, frail and gray. But when she heard the news, her voice — weak and shaky — said the same words she had always said:
"I always knew you would make it, my son." ππ
Giving Back — The True Mark of a Self-Made Man π€²πΎ
Abba Jan never forgot where he came from.
Even as his career soared and his financial situation improved, he remained deeply connected to his roots. He visited Charigram regularly, donated money to build a new primary school, and sponsored the education of dozens of poor children from his village.
"Education changed my life," he said. "And I wanted it to change theirs too. I wanted them to know that poverty is not a life sentence. That dreams don't have a price tag. That no matter how small your village or how poor your family, you can still become something great."
He also brought his mother to Dhaka — just as he had promised her years ago. She lived with them until her final days, surrounded by her children and grandchildren, finally able to enjoy the comfort and dignity she had always deserved. π΅π‘
The Lessons of a Lifetime ππ
Today, Abba Jan is 76 years old. His hair is silver, his hands are shaky, and his memory is not as sharp as it once was. But his spirit — that indomitable, unbreakable spirit — is still as fierce as ever.
He has lived through poverty, hunger, war, and loss. He has built a life from nothing — not through luck or privilege, but through sheer determination, hard work, and an unwavering belief in himself.
"People ask me," he said that night, looking into my eyes, "'What is the secret to success?' And I tell them the same thing every time — there is no secret. You just have to want it more than you want to sleep. More than you want to eat. More than you want to breathe."
He paused, and then added, with a twinkle in his eye:
"And never, ever forget where you came from. Because that is what keeps you humble. And humility, my child, is the greatest strength a man can have." ππ«
My Grandfather — My Hero π¦Έ♂️π
That night, as I watched my grandfather drift off to sleep on the sofa, I realized something profound.
I had spent my entire life taking things for granted — my education, my home, my comfortable life. I had never truly understood the sacrifices that had made it all possible.
But now, I understood.
I understood the value of every single rupee. I understood the weight of every sleepless night. I understood the depth of a mother's love and the power of a dream that refuses to die.
My grandfather didn't just build a life. He built a legacy — not of money or property, but of resilience, integrity, and hope. And that, I realized, is the greatest gift any human being can leave behind. π✨
Part Two: The City of Dreams π️✨
The year was 1960. My grandfather was 15 years old, wide-eyed and trembling with a mixture of fear and excitement, as he boarded a crowded train from Faridpur to Dhaka — the bustling capital of East Pakistan.
It was his first time leaving the village. His first time seeing a train. His first time stepping into a world that was louder, faster, and infinitely more chaotic than anything he had ever known. π
"I almost turned back," Abba Jan admitted, chuckling at the memory. "The train station was so crowded. People were shouting, pushing, fighting for seats. I had never seen so many people in one place in my entire life. I felt like a tiny fish thrown into a vast ocean."
But he didn't turn back. He couldn't. His mother had scraped together every last penny she had to buy him that train ticket. She had also packed a small cloth bag with dry roti, some pickled mangoes, and her blessings — which, according to Abba Jan, was worth more than all the gold in the world. π§³π
The journey took nearly eight hours. The train chugged slowly through endless green fields, tiny villages, and makeshift stations where vendors sold hot tea and sugarcane juice. Abba Jan pressed his face against the window, drinking in every sight like a man dying of thirst.
"I had never seen so many colors," he said. "The saris of the women, the bright rickshaws, the painted shops — everything was so alive. I thought, 'This is it. This is where dreams come true.'"
The First Night in Dhaka π°π️
But Dhaka was not kind to him at first.
The man who had promised to sponsor his education — the wealthy landowner from his village — had given him an address. But when Abba Jan finally found the house, it was locked. The man had gone on a business trip and wouldn't be back for another week.
Abba Jan was alone. In a city of millions. With no money, no place to stay, and no one to turn to.
"I sat on the footpath that night," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "I watched people walk past me — rich men in suits, women in beautiful saris, children laughing and eating ice cream. And I felt invisible. Like I didn't exist. Like I was just a shadow that no one could see."
He didn't sleep that night. The streets were too loud, too bright, too terrifying. Every sound made him jump. Every shadow made him flinch. He clutched his little cloth bag like it was the only thing keeping him alive. π’π
A Stranger's Kindness π€π
The next morning, exhausted and hungry, Abba Jan wandered into a small tea stall near the train station. He had just enough money for one cup of tea — no sugar, no snacks, just plain black tea.
The tea seller, an old man with a kind face and a warm smile, noticed the boy's tattered clothes and hollow cheeks.
"He asked me, 'Baba, where are your parents?'" Abba Jan recalled. "I told him everything — about my father's death, my mother's sacrifice, my journey to Dhaka, and the landowner who had vanished."
The old man listened silently, stirring his tea. Then, without saying a word, he placed a plate of parathas and dal in front of Abba Jan.
"Eat first," he said. "Then we'll talk."
That man — Abba Jan never forgot his name — gave him more than food. He gave him shelter. For the next seven days, Abba Jan slept on the floor of that tiny tea stall, helping the old man with dishes and cleaning in exchange for meals and a safe place to rest. ☕π
"That man taught me something I have never forgotten," my grandfather said, his eyes bright with emotion. "He told me, 'Beta, when you have nothing, you still have your humanity. And if you hold onto that, the world will always find a way to give back to you.'"
The Landowner Returns — And a New Chapter Begins π✨
On the eighth day, the landowner finally returned.
When he saw Abba Jan waiting patiently outside his house — thin, tired, but with fire still burning in his eyes — he was deeply moved.
"He apologized for the delay," Abba Jan said. "He told me he had heard about my story from the villagers. And he said, 'You are not just a student anymore. You are my responsibility now.'"
The landowner enrolled Abba Jan in a prestigious school in Old Dhaka, paid for his tuition, books, and uniform, and even found him a small room to rent near the school.
For the first time in his life, Abba Jan had a proper bed. A proper desk. A proper chance. π«π
The Struggle Never Stopped πͺπ
But even with the sponsorship, life was far from easy.
The room he rented was tiny — barely big enough for a cot and a small wooden table. It had no fan, no attached bathroom, and during the summer, it felt like a furnace. Abba Jan would wake up drenched in sweat, study by the dim light of a kerosene lamp, and walk two miles to school every morning because he couldn't afford the bus fare.
"Sometimes, I would have just one meal a day," he admitted. "I would tell myself that hunger was temporary, but education was forever. And I held onto that thought like a lifeline."
He also took on odd jobs — tutoring younger students, helping shopkeepers with accounts, even cleaning classrooms at his school — just to send a little money back to his mother in the village.
"I would write her letters every week," he said, smiling. "I would tell her about the tall buildings, the bright lights, the electric fans — things she had never seen. I promised her that one day, I would take her to Dhaka and show her everything."
The First Degree — A Victory Against All Odds ππ₯
In 1965, Abba Jan graduated from intermediate college with honors.
He was the first person from his entire village — yes, the very first — to earn a college degree. When the news reached Charigram, the entire village erupted in celebration. People came from neighboring villages just to shake his mother's hand and congratulate her.
"My mother didn't have a phone," Abba Jan said, laughing. "So she walked five miles to the nearest post office to send me a telegram. It said just three words: 'I AM SO PROUD.'"
He framed that telegram and kept it with him for the rest of his life. πΌ️❤️
But the Biggest Test Was Yet to Come — 1971 ⚔️π§π©
Just as Abba Jan was beginning to build a stable life — a good job, a small savings account, and even a few marriage proposals — the Liberation War of 1971 broke out.
East Pakistan was fighting for independence from West Pakistan. And my grandfather, now 26 years old, found himself caught in the crossfire of history.
"Those were the darkest days of my life," he said, his voice growing heavy. "I saw things I can never unsee. I heard screams that still echo in my ears at night."
He lost friends. He lost colleagues. He almost lost hope.
But he survived — by hiding, running, and clinging to the belief that freedom was worth every sacrifice. And when Bangladesh finally emerged as an independent nation on December 16, 1971, Abba Jan wept — not out of sadness, but out of overwhelming joy.
"I had seen my country born," he said. "And I knew, in that moment, that I had to help rebuild it. Not for myself. For my children. For my grandchildren. For you." π§π©✨
Part Three: Rebuilding a Nation, Building a Life π️π§π©
The year was 1972. Bangladesh was finally free — but freedom came at a devastating cost.
The country lay in ruins. Roads were destroyed. Bridges were collapsed. Markets were burned. And millions of people — including my grandfather — had lost everything they had worked so hard to build.
Abba Jan returned to Dhaka after the war to find his tiny rented room still standing, but barely. The windows were shattered. The walls were scarred with bullet holes. His beloved books — the ones he had collected over years of struggle — were scattered on the floor, torn and waterlogged. ππ
"I sat on the floor that day," he told me, his voice trembling slightly. "I looked at the destruction around me and thought, 'Is this what we fought for? Is this what independence means?'"
For a moment — just a single, terrifying moment — he considered giving up. He thought about returning to Charigram, to his mother, to the simple life of a farmer. Maybe that was easier. Maybe that was safer.
But then he remembered something his mother had told him years ago: "A real man doesn't run away from storms. He learns to dance in the rain." ☔πΊ
And so, instead of running, Abba Jan rolled up his sleeves and started rebuilding — not just his own life, but the life of his newborn nation.
The First Job — A Humble Beginning πΌπͺ
With no money and no connections, Abba Jan took the only job he could find — a clerk position at a small government office in Old Dhaka. The salary was meager — barely enough to cover rent and food. But he didn't complain.
"I was grateful to have a job at all," he said. "Millions of people were jobless. Thousands were homeless. I had a roof over my head and food on my plate. That was more than most people had."
He worked tirelessly — often staying late into the night, organizing files, writing reports, and learning everything he could about how the government functioned. His colleagues noticed his dedication. His bosses admired his work ethic. And slowly, quietly, he began to rise through the ranks. ππͺ
The Love Story That Changed Everything ππ₯°
In 1974, Abba Jan met the love of his life — my grandmother, Amma.
She was the daughter of a respected schoolteacher in Dhaka — educated, elegant, and fiercely independent. Her family had also lost everything during the war, but she never lost her spirit.
"The first time I saw her, I couldn't speak," my grandfather admitted, blushing like a teenager. "She was standing in a bookshop, reading a poetry collection by Jibanananda Das. The sunlight was falling on her face, and I thought — 'This is the woman I want to marry.'" πΈπ✨
But winning her heart wasn't easy. She was intelligent, ambitious, and had no interest in marrying a poor clerk with no future. So Abba Jan did what he did best — he worked harder.
He saved every penny he could. He took on extra work. He studied for competitive exams. And within two years, he had secured a promotion and a much better salary.
"I went to her father with a proposal," he said, grinning. "I told him, 'I don't have much now, but I promise you — your daughter will never go hungry. She will never have to worry about money. I will give her the life she deserves.'"
Her father agreed. And in 1976, they were married in a small, simple ceremony surrounded by close family and friends. ππ
Building a Family — And a Legacy π¨π©π§π¦π
The early years of their marriage were tough. They lived in a tiny one-room apartment with a shared bathroom and a kitchen the size of a closet. But Amma never complained. She managed the household with incredible skill — cooking, cleaning, saving money, and supporting Abba Jan in every way she could.
"She was my rock," my grandfather said softly. "She believed in me even when I doubted myself. She pushed me to dream bigger, work harder, and never settle for mediocrity."
In 1978, their first child — my father — was born. Then came another son. Then a daughter. The family grew, and so did Abba Jan's responsibilities.
"I used to wake up at 3 AM," he recalled. "I would work on side projects, study for exams, and still make time to play with my children. I wanted them to know that their father loved them — not just as a provider, but as a presence in their lives." π§Έ❤️
The Big Breakthrough — A Dream Realized ππ’
In 1982, Abba Jan received the news that would change everything.
He had passed the highly competitive Bangladesh Civil Service Examination — one of the toughest exams in the country. Out of thousands of applicants, he was selected as a senior officer in the Ministry of Education.
"When I got the news, I cried," he admitted. "I cried like a child. I thought about my father, who died without seeing his son succeed. I thought about my mother, who had worked so hard to raise me. I thought about every hungry night, every painful step, every tear I had shed."
He called his mother immediately. She was 70 years old by then, frail and gray. But when she heard the news, her voice — weak and shaky — said the same words she had always said:
"I always knew you would make it, my son." ππ
Giving Back — The True Mark of a Self-Made Man π€²πΎ
Abba Jan never forgot where he came from.
Even as his career soared and his financial situation improved, he remained deeply connected to his roots. He visited Charigram regularly, donated money to build a new primary school, and sponsored the education of dozens of poor children from his village.
"Education changed my life," he said. "And I wanted it to change theirs too. I wanted them to know that poverty is not a life sentence. That dreams don't have a price tag. That no matter how small your village or how poor your family, you can still become something great."
He also brought his mother to Dhaka — just as he had promised her years ago. She lived with them until her final days, surrounded by her children and grandchildren, finally able to enjoy the comfort and dignity she had always deserved. π΅π‘
The Lessons of a Lifetime ππ
Today, Abba Jan is 76 years old. His hair is silver, his hands are shaky, and his memory is not as sharp as it once was. But his spirit — that indomitable, unbreakable spirit — is still as fierce as ever.
He has lived through poverty, hunger, war, and loss. He has built a life from nothing — not through luck or privilege, but through sheer determination, hard work, and an unwavering belief in himself.
"People ask me," he said that night, looking into my eyes, "'What is the secret to success?' And I tell them the same thing every time — there is no secret. You just have to want it more than you want to sleep. More than you want to eat. More than you want to breathe."
He paused, and then added, with a twinkle in his eye:
"And never, ever forget where you came from. Because that is what keeps you humble. And humility, my child, is the greatest strength a man can have." ππ«
My Grandfather — My Hero π¦Έ♂️π
That night, as I watched my grandfather drift off to sleep on the sofa, I realized something profound.
I had spent my entire life taking things for granted — my education, my home, my comfortable life. I had never truly understood the sacrifices that had made it all possible.
But now, I understood.
I understood the value of every single rupee. I understood the weight of every sleepless night. I understood the depth of a mother's love and the power of a dream that refuses to die.
My grandfather didn't just build a life. He built a legacy — not of money or property, but of resilience, integrity, and hope. And that, I realized, is the greatest gift any human being can leave behind. π✨
Part Four: The Golden Years — A Life Well Lived π π΄
By the late 1980s and early 1990s, Abba Jan had truly arrived.
He was no longer the poor village boy who walked barefoot to school. He was no longer the hungry clerk sleeping on the floor of a tea stall. He was now a respected government official, a loving husband, a proud father of three, and a man whose name carried weight in both Dhaka and Charigram. π️✨
His career flourished. He was promoted multiple times, eventually becoming a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Education — one of the highest-ranking civil servant positions in the country. He was invited to meetings with foreign diplomats, international delegations, and even the Prime Minister herself.
But if you asked Abba Jan what his greatest achievement was, he would never mention any of that. π«π️
"My greatest achievement," he would say with a warm smile, "is that I never lost myself. I never became arrogant. I never forgot the boy who slept hungry. And I never, ever stopped being grateful."
The Man Who Stayed Humble ππ§♂️
Despite his success, Abba Jan remained remarkably grounded.
He still wore simple clothes — cotton lungis and loose shirts — even when he could afford expensive suits. He still ate simple meals — rice, dal, vegetables — even when he could afford gourmet feasts. He still walked to the nearby mosque for prayers, greeting everyone he met — from street vendors to fellow bureaucrats — with the same genuine warmth. ππ
"I remember once," my father told me, "a colleague of his bought a brand new luxury car and started showing it off to everyone in the office. When he asked Abba Jan why he still rode a bicycle to work, Abba Jan simply replied, 'Because my legs are still strong, and the air smells sweeter when you're moving slowly.'"
That was my grandfather — never impressed by material things, never seduced by wealth or status. He measured his worth not by what he owned, but by who he was. And who he was — was extraordinary. π
The Great Teacher — Sharing Wisdom with the World ππ
After retiring from government service in 1998, Abba Jan didn't sit idle. He couldn't.
"Retirement is just a word," he declared. "As long as I have breath in my lungs, I have work to do."
He started teaching at a local college, volunteering his time to help underprivileged students prepare for competitive exams. He would hold free coaching classes in the evenings, often spending hours explaining complex topics in the simplest possible ways.
"He had this magical ability," one of his former students told me years later. "He could take the most boring textbook chapter and turn it into a fascinating story. He taught us not just subjects — he taught us how to think, how to question, how to never accept things at face value." π§ ✨
Hundreds of students passed through his classes over the years. Many of them went on to become doctors, engineers, professors, and civil servants themselves. And they all credited Abba Jan for showing them the way.
The Grandfather I Knew — Playful, Loving, and Full of Stories π΄π€π§Έ
But to me, he wasn't a famous civil servant or a beloved teacher. He was simply — Abba Jan.
The man who would sneak me chocolates when my parents weren't watching. π«π
The man who would take me to the park and push me on the swings for hours. π
The man who would tell me the most ridiculous bedtime stories — about talking tigers, flying elephants, and kings who could only speak in rhymes. π―ππ
"Beta," he would say, tickling my stomach, "did I ever tell you about the time I fought a crocodile in the Padma River? No? Well, pull up a pillow, because this is a long one!" ππ
I knew half those stories were made up. I didn't care. His voice, his laughter, his twinkling eyes — they were my favorite lullabies. And even now, as I write these words, I can still hear his voice in my head, as clear as the day I first heard them.
The Loss That Broke Him — But Didn't Destroy Him ππ’
In 2010, my grandmother — Amma — passed away after a long illness.
Abba Jan was devastated.
He had spent 34 years with her — half a lifetime. She had been his confidante, his cheerleader, his partner in every sense of the word. Without her, the house felt empty. The silence felt deafening. The world seemed a little less colorful.
"I thought I would die too," he confessed to me one night. "I thought my heart would simply stop beating. But your Amma — she visited me in a dream. She said, 'Don't you dare give up. Our children need you. Our grandchildren need you. And I will be watching you from up there — so you better behave.'"
He laughed at that memory — a sad, wistful laugh. But it was a laugh nonetheless. And that was Abba Jan's superpower. Even in grief, he found a reason to smile. Even in darkness, he found a glimmer of light. π✨
The Final Lesson — Living with Purpose π―π
In 2019, when Abba Jan turned 74, he gathered all his children and grandchildren for a family meeting.
"I don't know how much longer I have," he said, his voice calm and clear. "But I want you to know something important. I have lived a full life. I have loved deeply. I have served faithfully. I have no regrets."
He then handed each of us a handwritten letter — his final gift to us.
My letter said: "Dear grandson, never let anyone tell you that you are not enough. You are more than enough. You are a warrior. You are a dreamer. You are the future. And I will be cheering for you, always — from wherever I am." π❤️
I still have that letter. I keep it in my wallet, next to a faded photograph of him and me at the park. It is my most precious possession.
Part Five: The Final Chapter — A Legacy That Lives Forever π π️
The year was 2023. Abba Jan was 78 years old.
His body was frail now. His steps were slow. His hands trembled when he held his tea cup. But his eyes — those beautiful, twinkling eyes — still held the same fire they had when he was 15, stepping onto that train to Dhaka for the very first time. π₯π
He had lived a full life. A life of struggle, sacrifice, love, and triumph. But now, as the sun began to set on his journey, he seemed to know that his time was drawing near.
And yet, he wasn't afraid.
"Beta," he told me one evening, as we sat together on the balcony watching the sunset, "I have seen so many sunsets in my life. But this one — this one feels different. It feels... peaceful." ππ«
I didn't want to admit it, but I felt it too. There was a quietness about him — a calm acceptance that I had never seen before. It was as if he had made peace with everything — his past, his present, and whatever lay ahead.
The Last Conversation — Words I Will Never Forget π£️π
That night, Abba Jan called me to his room. He asked me to sit beside him, just like I had done two years ago when he first told me his story.
"I want to tell you something," he said, his voice weak but steady. "Something I've never told anyone before."
I leaned in closer, my heart pounding.
"When I was young," he began, "I used to think that success meant money. Respect. Power. I thought that if I could just achieve those things, I would be happy." π°π
He paused, took a slow breath, and continued.
"But now, at the end of my life, I realize I was wrong. Success isn't about any of that. Success is about the people you love. The lives you touch. The difference you make in this world — even if it's just one person."
He looked at me then — really looked at me — and his eyes glistened with tears.
"You are my greatest success," he whispered. "Not because of what you've achieved. But because of who you are. Kind. Compassionate. Curious. That is your real wealth. Never forget that." π✨
I couldn't hold back my tears. I hugged him tightly, burying my face in his chest, just like I used to do when I was a little boy. And in that moment, I understood — truly understood — the depth of his love for me.
The Final Days — A Gentle Goodbye ππ―️
Over the next few weeks, Abba Jan grew weaker.
He stopped eating much. He slept most of the day. But whenever he was awake, he would ask about everyone — his children, his grandchildren, even the neighbors who used to visit him.
"How is your mother?" he would ask. "Is your father eating properly? Tell your sister to study hard. And you — take care of yourself, beta. You work too hard." π‘❤️
He was still thinking about others. Even in his final days, he never stopped caring.
On the morning of August 15, 2023, Abba Jan passed away peacefully in his sleep. He was surrounded by his children, his grandchildren, and the quiet hum of the city he had helped build. π π️
When I heard the news, I didn't cry. Not immediately. I just sat there, staring at the wall, feeling a strange emptiness that words cannot describe. It was as if a part of me had been gently lifted away — and I knew, deep down, that it had gone with him.
The Funeral — A Village Comes Together πΎπ
We took Abba Jan back to Charigram for his funeral.
It was his final wish — to be buried beside his mother, under the same sky he had looked up at as a child.
The entire village showed up. Young and old. Rich and poor. People he had helped, people he had taught, people whose lives he had transformed — they all came to say goodbye. π️π
"He built our school," one elderly man said, wiping his tears. "He paid for my children's education. He gave us hope when we had none."
"He was the best teacher I ever had," a young woman added. "He believed in me when no one else did. I am a doctor today because of him." π©Ίπ©⚕️
As I stood there, listening to their stories, I realized something profound — my grandfather hadn't just built a life for himself. He had built a better world for everyone around him. And that, I understood, was his true legacy.
The Lessons He Left Behind ππ
In the weeks after his death, I found myself thinking about him constantly.
I thought about his struggles. His sacrifices. His endless optimism. His unwavering belief that hard work and integrity would always win in the end.
And I realized that his life had taught me so many things:
- Never give up. No matter how hard life gets, keep moving forward. πΆ♂️πͺ
- Stay humble. Success should never make you arrogant. Remember where you came from. ππΎ
- Help others. Your real wealth is not in your bank account — it's in the lives you touch. π€²❤️
- Love deeply. Family is everything. Hold them close, tell them you love them, and never take them for granted. π¨π©π§π¦π
- Live with purpose. Every day is a gift. Use it wisely. Make it count. π―✨
A Promise to My Grandfather π―️π
On the night before I left Charigram, I visited his grave.
I sat there for a long time, under the stars, talking to him just like I used to.
"Abba Jan," I whispered, "I promise you — I will make you proud. I will carry forward everything you taught me. I will be kind. I will be strong. I will never forget where I came from."
I placed a handful of soil on his grave and said a silent prayer. And then, as I stood up to leave, I felt something strange — a gentle warmth, like a hand on my shoulder, and a soft breeze that seemed to whisper: "I know you will, beta. I know you will." π¬️π«
The Story That Will Never End ππ
Today, as I write these final words, I realize that my grandfather's story is not really over.
It lives on — in me, in my father, in my siblings, in every person he ever helped, and in every child who studies in the school he built.
He was just one man. One man from a tiny village, with no money, no connections, and no advantages. And yet, he changed the world — not by conquering nations or amassing fortunes, but by living a life of courage, integrity, and love. π❤️
And that, my friend, is the greatest story of all.
Final Words — To Everyone Who Reads This ππ
If you've made it this far, thank you. Thank you for reading about my grandfather — a man who taught me that dreams have no limits, that struggles build character, and that the human spirit is unbreakable.
I hope his story inspires you the way it inspired me.
I hope it reminds you that no matter where you come from, you can go anywhere.
And I hope it makes you call your grandparents, your parents, your loved ones — and tell them how much they mean to you. Because life is short, but love... love is forever. ❤️✨
To Abba Jan — my hero, my guide, my forever inspiration. Thank you for everything. I love you. Always. π️ππ
[THE END]
Comments
Post a Comment